You may find this situation familiar. You’re scouring all the local home improvement stores for a new bathroom vanity cabinet, but you just can’t find what you’re looking for. All of them are too short, and they don’t give you the amount of storage space you need. Then the thought suddenly hits you: What if I used a kitchen cabinet in the bathroom and turned it into a bath vanity? It may sound like a silly thought, but it has actually been done many times before, and many people love the results.
Kitchen cabinets and bathroom sink cabinets are not mutually exclusive, and can cross over if done correctly. Simply choose a kitchen cabinet then put a vanity tops on it to transform it into a bathroom vanity cabinet.
Here are the pros and cons to help you determine if such an endeavor is right for you:
- Kitchen cabinets have taller and deeper measurements
- Enough space to place a laundry hamper underneath or store more of your toiletries
- Extra counter space if you have more items to display or need a place to spread out to do your makeup.
- If you’re tall, kitchen cabinets in the bathroom will be more comfortable
- You have to remove the drawers and glue their faces back onto the cabinet structure to leave room for the plumbing
- You also have to take other elements of the kitchen cabinet apart to perform the necessary reinforcements
- You’ll need to seal the wood before using any kitchen cabinets in the bathroom
- If you’re short, kitchen cabinets may be too tall
Cost and Final Considerations
The cost of either option depends a lot on the initial price and where you order it from, as well as any DIY materials needed to convert the kitchen cabinets. Some report that it is actually cheaper to use kitchen cabinets, while just as many say that traditional bathroom cabinets are less expensive. It seems that cost would be less of a factor and time spent converting the kitchen cabinet is the bigger concern.
Try ready-to-assemble kitchen cabinets in your bathroom. You install them yourself, and you don’t have to disassemble them to make adjustments. View our online catalog for a list of choices.