The verdict is in: blue cabinets are definitely having a moment – and the moment is not going to end anytime soon! Let’s explore which types of blue kitchen cabinets are most classic and timeless, as well as the design styles that work best with this unique color of cabinetry!
Blue kitchen cabinets have been popular in recent years because they are a refreshing change from the more traditional white or wood-toned cabinets. They can add a pop of color to a kitchen and can also be used to create a coastal or farmhouse-inspired look.
Blue is also a versatile color that can work well with a variety of countertop and backsplash materials, making it a popular choice for kitchen designers. Additionally, blue is often associated with feelings of calmness and serenity, which can be desirable in a space where people tend to spend a lot of time.
Types of Classic Blue Kitchen Cabinet Colors: Navy, Earthy, & Light Blue
If you’re thinking about incorporating blue cabinets into your kitchen, it’s critical to choose a shade that won’t date your space and will look timeless for years to come. Here are several of our favorite shades that are favored by leading designers:
- Navy blue – Navy blue kitchen cabinets are probably the most popular shade of blue to integrate into a kitchen, as this shade imbues a level of luxury and refinement. This is mainly because navy can be easily paired with brass fixtures for a high-end look in a modern space, or it will also match well with bright countertops, such as white granite, in a nautical or coastal kitchen.
- Earthy blue – A second shade of blue that looks charmingly understated in a kitchen is earthy blue, also known as powder blue or grey blue. This dusty, semi-muted color pairs beautifully with natural and organic elements like wicker, straw, burlap, or reclaimed wood. This earthy or colonial blue is perfect for a kitchen that is striving for a cottage feel, as it is simple and soft without garnering too much attention.
- Light blue – Light blue is a third shade that always looks excellent on kitchen cabinets, as this color will instantly make the space pretty! This is because light blue is often associated with the sky, eliciting an airy and open feel. For a coastal kitchen, light blue kitchen cabinets are an ideal choice and can be brought to life with brass or even bronze hardware for extra character.
Kitchen Styles that Look Great with Blue Cabinetry
No matter what style you choose, it’s important to consider the overall color scheme of your kitchen, as well as the size of the space, when selecting blue cabinets. Keep in mind that not every design style will look great with blue cabinets, so you want to make sure that the rest of your kitchen and interiors will match well with this bold choice.
Here are a few interior design styles that work best with blue kitchen cabinetry:
- Coastal: Light blue cabinets can give a kitchen a nautical vibe that will make the space feel as though it’s right on the beach. Paired with white countertops, a subtle backsplash, and natural wood accents, this look can be very inviting and relaxing.
- Farmhouse: These gorgeous Florence Midnight Blue Cabinets can add a level of rustic charm to a farmhouse-style kitchen. Alongside white or light-colored countertops and distressed wood furnishings, dark blue cabinets will provide a touch of coziness to a space that celebrates a country style.
- Modern: Blue cabinets can also make a lasting statement in a modern kitchen space. When paired with clean lines, stainless steel appliances, and a monochromatic color scheme, blue kitchen cabinets can make the space feel incredibly sleek and chic.
- Traditional: Blue kitchen cabinets can add a touch of elegance to a traditional style kitchen as well. Along with marble countertops, intricate tile backsplashes, and gold accents, blue cabinets can be very sophisticated and refined.
Ready to make your decision and transform your kitchen cabinets to a cool and timeless blue? Check out all of our blue kitchen cabinet offerings and shop our full range of cabinets here.